Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Long time, no news

I haven't written in a while because there isn't a lot to say.

I confirmed with my endocrinologist that the pain I am experiencing, and it has been quite dramatic, is caused from the lack of cortisol in my body. The hydrocortisone I am taking really does only stay in the bloodstream for about an hour. I'm taking in one day about three times as much as the normal person naturally creates.

Sunday night was the worst so far. My husband helped me to bed. I cried. It was awful. I rub my legs against each other to try and find comfort. I rub my arms, head, chest, shoulders, neck and as much of my back as I can reach. I wiggle and move constantly trying to relieve the pain.

The medication gives me diarrhea. I have a decreased appetite. My skin is clearer. I still haven't lost much weight.

At this point, I am fighting two battles: Cushing's and Cancer.

With one medication, the steroid, I will conquer Cushing's syndrome.

In a few weeks, I will begin the final chapter of my battle against cancer.

The radiation oncologist said the radioactive agent needed for the octreotide scan is expected to become available here in mid-February. Whether it is or not, I have my appointment with her to do the radiation planning session on Monday February 22nd, I think. After that, it takes about 7 to 10 days to get the plan completed and start the therapy.

So, for now, it's just "deal with it" and move on. There's nothing else I can do, so why worry about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment