Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Success! Shall we try it again?

My day yesterday turned out almost exactly how I had written it at 3 a.m. My surgeon, Dr. Bull, said my chest x-ray looked great. He examined my incision scar and said, "You heal really fast. Don't you think?" I thought, "I don't know. I have nothing to compare to really." He was very happy about the results of the surgery and my recovery. He said I could go on to whatever therapy Dr. Akerley suggests as soon as needed and that I was recovered enough from the surgery to handle such therapy.

That moves us on to today.

It worked so well yesterday, I thought I would try it again this morning.

I'm up. Probably not going back to bed this morning. I had about 6 1/2 hours of sleep last night. I was so exhausted, my head hit the pillow and I was out!

This morning I'll go to the office and meet with my boss. We'll go over projects and programs, websites, employees, research, etc. It will be a brief meeting because I need to be to class at 9:10 a.m. halfway across campus. That means I need to leave about 20 minutes early so I can drive up, park in the pay lot and get to class on time. (Under normal circumstances I would just walk to class, but there isn't much that is normal about me right now.)

Which class? Well, this isn't one I'm looking as forward to taking. I'm sure it will involve some kind of math and I hate math. It's called Intro to Quantitative Communication Research. It just sounds fun, doesn't it? At least I know the professor well. The funny thing about working on campus is that I serve on committees with faculty. Well, yes. I serve on two committees with this professor, so it can be a little odd. Oh well.

After class, I'm heading back into the office until about 1:20. We'll have lab meeting at 1 p.m., so I'll have to cut out early from that. No biggie. I usually offer up the beginning announcements and my boss is here to actually direct the meeting.

I have to be at the Huntsman Cancer Institute, Clinic E, at 1:40 p.m. to have blood drawn. My appointment with Dr. Akerley is at 2 p.m. I'm nervous. Labs? I have to get blood drawn? As you may recall from previous posts, I hate needles. I really hate them. Also, this is really becoming much more of a definite thing now - therapy. I'll find out today what kind of therapy is going to happen, when, etc.

I'll go to the appointment alone. Last time we had to wait for nearly two hours before we were seen (I say we because Craig and Halle were with me). I'll be bringing textbooks to read, just in case I have to wait like that again.

I hope I can do this by myself. Of course, I'll have to, won't I? Then I'll come home tonight and talk to Craig about the plan, reasoning, side effects, schedule, etc.

We'll make dinner together as a family tonight. Craig barbecuing chicken and salmon (1/2 of the chicken for tonight and the other 1/2 for Friday night; the salmon for tomorrow night); Halle will help with the spinach pesto; I'll cook the pasta and be the director.

Then I'll go to bed and do a repeat, minus the doctor appointment, of Monday. Hmm. I guess.


  1. Sorry to hear you have to take Intro to Quantitative Communication Research. It's no fun!

  2. You're right. So far - no fun. :) (That's why I saved it for last!)