Monday, January 4, 2010

Totally unnecessary.

I think I'm taking Metformin unnecessarily. A little more than a week ago my glucose tested at 89 - after I ate breakfast. The Metformin is for diabetes and I may not even have diabetes anymore. I had horrible cramping about a week before Christmas and was constipated. I took some "helping" medications and they "helped." Since then, though, I have had the exact opposite problem.

Yesterday morning I was thinking about it and what could be causing this problem. I thought about the Metformin because it deals with diabetes, a dietary issue. So, when I was at the grocery store yesterday, I stopped by and talked to the pharmacist. I asked what the side effects were for the medication Metformin. He said that GI problems were very common. I explained my situation (Cushing's induced diabetes - Cushing's going away - on the steroid Dexamethasone) and he suggested I call my doctor to see if it is possible for me to go off the Metformin as it may not be necessary anymore.

You betcha! I will be calling this morning. Three less pills per day, especially these larger type, is a great move forward for me. I would love to feel better and not have to go through GI problems while trying to recover from everything else!

P.S. Sorry this post is about poop. Just keepin' it real.

No comments:

Post a Comment